Let’s talk Oscars. Oscar Sunday is/has/always will be one of my favorite days. There’s just something in the air… the excitement, the anticipation… it feels a little bit like Christmas.
Not gonna lie though… this year I was a little underwhelmed. The show was great, Ellen is hilar, but I felt the fashion was a little… eh. Usually there is that one person that seriously hits it out of the park, and the other who needs to fire their stylist… STAT. Though there were plenty of hits and misses… none of them really blew me away.
Nonetheless… here is my recap of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Let’s start with the ugly (cuz let’s face it, that’s everyone’s favorite part).
– Anne Hathaway in Gucci: OMG. Anne, is that you? I think it is, but I can’t see your face as I’ve been completely blinded by your obnoxious gown. Her dress was over the top x 100… and not in a good way. When she presented the first award I had to don an oversized pair of sunnies. It was soooooo sparkly and distracting that TBH… I have no idea what she was presenting for, and I may or may not have had a mini-siezure from all of the flashing lights radiating off of her chest. Sorry Anne, you’re uber talented, but this was not your best look.
– Julia Roberts in Givenchy: I love you, always have, always will. You can pretty much do no wrong, well… maybe just this once. Honestly, she is so gorgeous that she could pretty much wear a paper bag and kill it. Maybe she should have. The peplum… STOP. Peplum is probably the most unflattering trend. Ever. I was really hoping it would disappear in 2014… but sadly my hopes were dashed last night. Whatever. I still love her.
– Mindy Kaling in Salvador Perez: You are one of my favorite female comedienne, hands down… but again with the peplum. Just don’t. I beg of you. She did look super cute though, and her Neil Lane jewels were to-die. Just promise me… no more peplum.
– Jennifer Garner in Oscar De La Renta: One word. Tassels. Tassels on tassels on tassels… literally. This flapper-esque gown was just too costume-y. Guess she’s still miffed about not getting a part in Gatsby.
– Anna Kendrick in J. Mendel: When I saw the back of this gown I was in love… then she turned around. Oy. Just too much going on. Her dress had a major multiple-personality disorder thing going on. The cutouts… the mesh… the too-low slit with the fringe…the blood red detailing on the midriff… it was confused. And BTW… since when is J. Mendel designing gowns for Hot Topic?
Now onto the good…
– Charlize Theoron in Dior: Is this girl human… I’m going with no. She is so beyond beautiful, I don’t even get it. She is the epitome of effortless Hollywood glam. The juxtaposition of the sculpted black gown and the nude straps was perfect. I love how she always keeps her accessories, hair, and makeup to a minimum… letting her gown speak for itself. Flawless.
– Kate Hudson in Atelier Versace: Wow! She seriously killed it. The white dress, the plunging neckline, and the CAPE. Ugh. She looked like freaking superwoman, in a good way. Remember when Lupita Nyong’o wore that insane Ralph Lauren red caped gown to the Golden Globes? The cape is by far my favorite new red carpet trend.
– Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Couture: Could she be any more likable? I think not. Exhibit A… she fell. AGAIN. She’s such a spaz, but so poised at the same time. I mean, she’s only 23 and can hang with the best of the best. This Dior gown fit her like a glove. I loved everything about this dress… the simple structure, the color, the minimal details. Also loved the drop necklace down the back. Win, win.
Naomi Watts in Calvin Klein: This gown was SO classic and different from everything else we saw. The high neckline, the capped sleeves, and the simple slit up the back = proof that you don’t have to show a ton of skin to look super sexy. Calvin Klein always kills it with their understated elegance. Her diamond studded Bulgari choker was kind of insane too. She looked beautiful.
– Pharrell Williams: He is just so stinkin’ cute. He also doesn’t age which kind of weirds me out. He’s 40… just sayin’. He ditched his Arby’s style hat and opted for some Lanvin tuxedo shorts instead. I don’t know many guys who could pull this off, but he is definitely one of them.
And the award for best dressed couple goes to…
– Olivia Wilde in Valentino and Jason Sudeikis: Olivia and her unborn child have never looked better. This was the perfect dress to show off her baby bump. The gorgeous open back with the black and white detailing was spot-on. The front was simple… not too-tight, but not too drape-y. Perfection. She is honestly so gorgeous. And I’m sorry, but when did Jason Sudeikis get SO hotttt? His midnight blue Prada tux was perfectly tailored, I love the tapered pants, and he just looked smokin’. End of story. Midnight blue is by far my favorite new man-trend. I also loved Kevin Spacey in his blue duds… very dapper. And Ellen looked so cute in her deep blue, sparkly Saint Laurent ‘smoking jacket’. Blue is the new black.
So that’s my red carpet rundown. Agree? Disagree? Who made you swoon… and who made you reach for your air-sickness bag? Tell, tell!!